Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Joy Dare

A couple of months ago, my hubs and I were visiting our Bishop and his family. He and his wife have 6 children ranging in age from 19-7 and they are ALL wonderful, amazing young human beings. As we were seated in their Family Room surrounded by the sweet members of this family (these kids are ridiculously crazy ove Brad), I noticed large sheets of paper taped around the room. Upon closer look, I noticed that these huge sheets were lists of everything that this sweet family was thankful for.

What really touched me was that NOTHING was off limits! These lists contained everything from, The Savior, The Gospel and Individual family member names to Bras, Satellite Dishes, Diet Coke and Tampons!! We giggled, but I was touched that these young people took the time to write down ALL that they were grateful for. My hubs and I even made the list!

I've thought about this. The spirit in their home was peaceful, loving and kind. Now, I know that the family dynamic is often intense and that there are definite moments of discord, but in this home, that evening, it was the best place we could be.

This morning, as I was perusing some of my favorite blogs, I ran across a beautiful posting similar to the "List Making" in our friends home. It was here and the title is "Taking the Joy Dare".

I realized, as I read that post, that my heart was in need of healing. Nothing serious, just with all of the life changes in such a short amount of time, I realized that I am always in need of drawing closer to the Lord and maybe by becoming cognizant of my "gifts", just maybe my heart can begin to heal.

So I downloaded this app on my iPhone and on my iPad.

I commit to you all that I will report in on this humble, meager little blog, of my progress of appreciating and acknowledging my gifts. I'm even going to link up with Ann Voskamp at " A Holy Experience"

Here's my Start:
  1. My Heavenly Father and Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
  2. My sweet family.
  3. An amazing, loving husband.
  4. A healthy, fulfilling marriage.
  5. A warm and comfortable home.
  6. My microwave (mine broke and I've lived one week without one...ugh)
  7. My husband's job.
  8. My job.
  9. Great parents.
  10. A very comfortable and warm bed.
  11. My iPad and iPhone.
  12. Fabulous shoes.
  13. My 2 dogs.
  14. Holiday celebrations.
  15. Skilled doctors.
  16. Skilled Physical Therapists.
  17. Clocks.
  18. Cameras.
  19. Photographs.
  20. My beautiful town & community.
  21. Great friends.
  22. My BFF.
  23. Shining Sun.
  24. Hugs & Kisses.
  25. Hot running water.
  26. Indoor heat.
  27. The most precious grandchildren a woman could ever ask for!!
  28. My beautiful mother who is the rock of our family .
  29. Tender Mercies of the Lord.
  30. Challenges and trials that shape me into a better person.
That was much easier than I expected...I hope to travel on this journey with Joy. Feel free to join me. I challenge all my readers to take "The Joy Dare"...after all, what have you got to lose?
Photobucket

1 comment:

BARBIE said...

I am so excited that you are taking the Joy dare right along with me! I too will be using the app to record my gifts each day and link up to Ann on Mondays!

May you continue to find joy in the journey!