Thursday, July 21, 2011

Am I Just Plain Crazy?!?

As I have been busy in Portland trying to find a place to live, finding the crew lounge and figuring out where to shop, eat and whatever else we need to do to survive, I have hardly had a chance to think...BUT, I have had a chance to read a few of my favorite blogs and that, my friends, has returned me to my reality...well, whatever my reality is these days...before I go on, I want to share this blog address with you. Check it out, you won't be sorry http://www.lefolauga.com/ .

Since I have undertaken this HUGE life-changing career at this late stage of my life, I have found that I have, on occasion, found myself questioning myself with expressions like, "What on earth were you thinking?" and "Seriously, did you undergo a lobotomy and just not remember the procedure?" OK, just to set the record straight, I am THRILLED to be back in this crazy industry and anxious to get things going...BUT...

A lot has happened. If not for the companionship of two sweet new friends, things would be very different for me right now. These two amazing women and I have ridden the MAX (light rail), tromped in the rain looking for shoes to work in and found a crash pad to live in. They are my sanity right now and I am ever grateful for them!

While I was in training, one of our instructors was totally into inspirational thoughts. He shared one with us from the famous German writer, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. I was cleaning out my flight bag this morning when I ran across it...it couldn't have come at a better time:

“I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates a climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make a life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of fortune or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal in all situations. It is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a person humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.” ~Goethe


What more can I say?
Photobucket

1 comment:

Lloyd said...

Good post... lots of stuff I needed in that one. And thanks for pointing us to Le Folauga, wow.

Glad you have these new opportunities. Changes are blessings too.

BTW, I had to "borrow" the quote from you from my FB. Hit way too close to home for comfort. Thanks for sharing.