Monday, January 31, 2011

The Catwalk

This past weekend I participated in the annual "Wedding Festival" down in SLC as a model on the runway. I know, you're probably asking yourself, "They allow a woman in her 50's on the catwalk??" I asked myself the very same question when Vickie (my agent) told me emphatically that she wanted me to do this show.

It has been about 3 years since I was in a runway show and it was for Dillards. I had a blast even though I tripped at the end of one of my sets and almost knocked the pillars at the top of the runway over...no big surprise, I'm a TOTAL klutz and always have been. I smiled, and exited the stage as quickly as I possibly could. It was fun even though I was sure that that show was my big finale in the world of 5'9"(minimum) skinny girls with flawless skin, flowing hair and sassy attitudes.

Since my daughter, Aja, my son Tyler and one of my *Littles*, Alakina are "regulars" in the annual Wedding show, I grudgingly agreed to do it. Aja is a veteran...I think this was her 10th year and she is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. on the runway...sooooo graceful and she just glides down with grace and elegance with her willowy body and sparkling smile. Ty has done it for the past 4 years and has really mastered it. One of his sets is with all guys (in tuxes) who get out and dance...it's a showstopper and Ty is a hit! But the best is Alakina...she comes out in the third set. She was dressed in a beautiful all white dress, complete with a full petticoat (a blast from the past...) and RUNS onto the stage into the arms of a "groom" who sweeps her up, swings her around and then they watch a beautiful bride glide by...the crowd goes wild!
This is Aja in "Veil" set. All the girls wore black to showcase the veils...

So here I was...I was the MOB (Mother-of-the-Bride). My first dress was a gorgeous teal strapless gown (kinda freaked me out since I NEVER wear strapless) and the second outfit was a hideous, salmon colored suit that was too big for me, had jeweled buttons and, quite simply, if I had worn that to either of my daughter's weddings I would probably have been banned from the premises...it was horrid!! (fortunately there are no pictures of it)
I decided that in the second set (ugly salmon suit) I should have been called the FOB...Frump-of-the-Bride. It was tough to try to rock it on the runway...I tried...Awful!

So the next day, the representative from Dillards (who had the ugly suit) brought me a long flowing pink gown that pretty much resembled a night gown. But at this point, I was THRILLED to no longer play the FOB role and walked with much more ease in the pink...that set was with Alakina and it was sweet!

All in all, it was a great experience. It was fun to be up there with 2 of my 3 children and it was great to work with Alakina...I was told that I was now in it every year...at least until I become the GOB (Grandmother-of-the-Bride)...YIKES!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Love Being A Nonny said...

WOW! You look great! WOW! Jealous much.