Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Homemade Brown Sugar

Have you ever looked at the ingredients on your Brown Sugar bag/box? I never have until yesterday. It may surprise you to see that it simply says "Sugar, Molasses".

I saw that and thought to myself, "I can do this". I mean really, how hard can that be? So I started my internet quest on how to make this delicious confection and found a most simple recipe. Here it is:

1 C. Sugar (use more sugar to taste)
1T. Molasses (If you want Dark Brown Sugar, add 2 T. of Molasses)

That's it! Just put the sugar in a bowl and drizzle the molasses over the sugar. I used a fork in mixing the two together because you do need to be sure to get all of the little clumps blended.



 I did mix for about 3-5 minutes, but how easy is that? And guess what...it tastes great!!

So now when you're in a pinch and need that one last ingredient but don't want to have to run to the store, Voila! You can make your own!!

I don't know why that thrilled me...it just did...Enjoy!
Photobucket


4 comments:

Julie said...

I never would have thought to try making my own brown sugar. I can't believe how easy it is.

Lynn said...

OH yes!! I just love all the little things we can store in our food storage and just mix our own little mixes with just those few ingredients.......not only frugal, but healthier!!

Have you tried making your own sweetened condensed milk, or icing sugar, or evaporated milk, or baking powder?? Yup. It's so easy and great! Thanks for sharing your discoveries. Love the internet for that alone. ; D

Lloyd said...

Does the recipe really say "1C "Brown" Sugar"?

Is that like instant water... open a can, add water, and viola!!?

Does look tasty. Gonna have to try the dark version.

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer said...

Lloyd, actually the recipe calls for 1 C. Sugar...sorry, I put this on our Relief Society blog too so I guess I was just not paying attention. Thanks for bringing that to my attention:)
~M