Thursday, January 14, 2010

Helpless!



As I have been looking at the images splayed across the internet and TV of the devastation in Haiti, my heart has been breaking for the thousands of people who have been adversely affected by the 7.0 earthquake. 7.0 is HUGE! To me it is unbelievable that anybody could have survived. I have heard numerous stories of people trapped under the rubble of collapsed buildings and have survived. I have also seen images of bodies lying in the street waiting for identification by loved ones.

The most heart-wrenching photo I have seen was the image of a distraught father holding his deceased young child (I'm guessing 1-2 years old) with tears streaming down his face. My heart broke for this stranger who I felt some sort of connection to. Then it hit me! We are all bonded through the ties of humanity. We are all brothers and sisters...

I have been in 2 large earthquakes. One was way back in the 60's in Bellevue, WA. I was getting on the school bus and the driver started yelling at us to "SIT DOWN"...I did, right on the steps of the school bus. I saw my neighbors driveway split open and I was confused. It lasted just a few seconds. I'm not sure how many, but it was frightening. Only one person died, an elderly man from a heart attack

The second was just a few years ago. Brad and I were in Hawaii with his daughter, Natalie. It was a Sunday morning around 7:30 and I was awaken by a tremendous shaking . We were on the 14th floor and it was wild. We suffered no damage or harm, but we were frightened for a few seconds and concerned about aftershocks, but that was it! Honolulu turned into a ghost town for only 1 day but our hotel stepped it up for us. We lost power for the entire day and got our workout going up and down those endless stairs! But, we had food and water and we had comfort and shelter. We made friends and even met one of the stars of the hit show "LOST" who was at our hotel.

The people of Haiti aren't as fortunate. Their homes are destroyed, their lives are shattered and their hearts are broken. Their outlook is grim and I cannot begin to image what they are feeling.

It's easy to disconnect from these "strangers" and move about our daily lives with little or no concern for what is going on just off our shores. I, for one, don't ever want to forget! This disaster reminds me of just how tremendously blessed I am!

So, my plea is that we will all offer our sincere prayers heavenward on behalf of these brothers and sisters of ours who are suffering. I know that God hears prayers and will answer them in His time and in His way. Together we can petition our Father and ask for His mercy and love to be shed upon this tiny island nation...

No comments: