Friday, January 22, 2010

Midway Boosters Committee

Brad and I have been asked to be on the Midway Boosters Committee and last night was the first meeting of the year. We gathered at our Town Hall and met the entire committee. Some people we already knew and others were quickly introduced.

The Boosters are responsible for most of the town's events and also responsible for making sure that the town funds are distributed fairly to each said event.

First, let me just tell all who may not know, that Midway was settled by the Swiss settlers because it looked so much like Switzerland to them and they felt they had arrived home. The locals will tell you that the name "Midway" was chosen because the early settlers saw the beauty and called it "Midway to Heaven". It was settled in 1891, and has grown into a beautiful resort town boasting several of the world's best golf courses and several 5 star resorts. People from arund the world come here to relax and enjoy the wonders of nature that abound at every corner! It is also the town where my husband grew up.

We started the meeting with prayer and then we were warmly welcomed by the already established members, given our assignments and proceeded with the agenda.

I have always lived in BIG cities...Los Angeles, Seattle, Ft. Lauderdale, NYC...well, you get the point...so it was very foreign to me to be sitting in a room with a City Councilman and our Mayor (who happens to be a neighbor!) Don't get me wrong, I wasn't "star struck", I just found it so odd considering my past experiences in life.

My point to this whole thing is this, I found that these 20+ people sincerely love this beautiful town that we live in. I found that they are able to deal with whatever circumstances are before them and that together they...WE...will work together to have a great year and provide amazing experiences for the citizens of our town. I found that these people would rather work together than fight for their own agendas. I found that patriotism is alive and well and that citizens who love their community can project that same spirit of patriotism into their community to promote a cohesive camaraderie for the general good of the public.

It is great to see so many "volunteers" give of their time and talents just because they love their community and what's even better is to see them give it willingly and freely. They do it because they WANT to do it!

I am humbled and honored to be a part of this great . I'm not quite sure where I will be an asset just yet, but I know that with the help and support of others, it will be clear and together, we can do anything!

No comments: